Today, display ads featuring 2D content struggle to compel audiences.
In fact, according to Hubspot, average click-through-rates for display ads are ~0.35%, dismally low compared to the first-ever display ad which had a CTR of 44%.
Marketers need new, compelling creative ad formats to tell better brand stories…and get better ROI on their ad spend.
This is why we’re excited to help marketers create 3D Photo Display Ads.
What is a 3D Photo Display Ad?
A 3D Photo Display Ad is a display ad that adds movement and depth to a 2D image.
Audiences can move their phones or hover over the content with a mouse on desktop to explore the different depths of the photo.
This leads to a user-activated experience that is proven to increase and deepen engagement.
We wrote this tutorial to share how you can turn your existing 2D content into 3D ads.
Tutorial: How to Create 3D Photo Display Ads for the Web
1. Prepare your 2D image and choose your banner size
- Ensure your photo is in JPG or JPEG format
- If you are creating a 300×250 banner, ensure your image is AT LEAST double the size at 600 x 500 pixels
- If you are creating a 300×600 banner, ensure your image is AT LEAST double the size at 600 x 1200 pixels
Having higher resolutions helps the 3D depth render at a higher quality. We even recommend tripling the resolution.
2. Upload your 2D image to the OmniVirt 3D Photo Creator
Select which size format you want (indicated in the red box below)
3. Upload your depth map
A depth map is a layer of information that captures the distance between the foreground and background of the image. This is what enables the movement and dimension in a 3D Photo.
To learn how to create a depth map from your image, you can use any photo editing tools such as Photoshop. Read a tutorial on how to do this here.
Read our tips for creating the best depth maps.
Note: our tool also generates depth maps using AI technology, so if you don’t have a depth map, you can select “Predict Depth Map”. We are still working on our algorithm, so for the best depth map, we recommend creating your own.
Stay in the know on all things AR, VR, 3D, and 360° advertising
4. Add Overlay
An overlay is a static PNG file that lays on top of your 3D ad. It it best used to place your logo and CTA text because it remains static and 2D, to help maintain brand standards.
We recommend using images with transparent backgrounds, placed against an image file of the same resolution and size as your 2D photo.
Choose your auto-rotation speed. When someone is not hovering over your ad, the ad will auto-rotate to show off the 3D effect. You can alter the rotation speed to your liking.
Add in a link for where you’d like to direct users when they click on your ad. You can also place a third-party click tracking URL.
4. Generate your Ad Banner
After uploading the depth map, you’ll see the live preview of your 3D Photo.
5. Promote your ad
Now it’s time to promote your ad!
You have TWO options for promotion:
- Purchasing a one-off campaign that is distributed across OmniVirt’s premium network
- Subscribing to OmniVirt’s Ad Manager, giving you the ability to take the OmniVirt 3D ad tag and buy your media across other platforms, including DV360, The Trade Desk, MediaMath, and more
1. OmniVirt Network
- With the OmniVirt network, you can purchase your media or where you want to run your ad directly on OmniVirt.
- Target your audience by location, demographics, and interests, device, in addition to specific websites.
2. Other Ad Platforms
If you use other ad platforms to launch your campaigns, Yyou can copy and paste the ad tag to any DSP or Exchange platform.
Get started: Use the OmniVirt 3D Photo Creator tool now.
If you have any questions, reach out to us at [email protected] Happy creating!